Monday, April 9, 2012

The Labor/Delivery Story of Ethan!

Once again, I almost went MIA! :) But I'm glad I have a little time to share my labor and delivery story. It was such a journey.. I was full term (40 weeks & 1 day) when I went in for my induction. Man, oh, man.. NEVER EVER will I ever get induced again (unless there are actual health reasons). 

I had an overall smooth pregnancy since he was FULL term, it was okay for him to come out. But even though they help you induce your labor, baby will still only come when he wants to.. So basically, you'll be in pain and contracting and waiting. At least when your water breaks or you start contracting on your own, your baby is telling you they want out, so most likely they'll be coming very soon. I was in active labor for 2 days and INTENSE pushing for 2 hours straight. It was thee worst pain ever! And the pain didn't stop even when he came out. Here, let's make it easier and I'll just break it down.. 

The day of the induction..
The hospital had told me not to eat anything 1 1/2 hour before I went in, so babe and I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for the first time earlier that day. I took a nap at home until I had to check myself in around 4pm. The nurse had told me if I wanted to eat, I'd better eat asap because I could only take the meds an hour after I eat and I won't be able to eat again until baby is out. I honestly thought everything was going to move along fast.. NOPE. I took the meds and fluids to help me dilate and contract, but my body was taking forever to do both those things. I chose 3 people to be in the delivery room with me: babe, my mom, and my best friend (known this girl for 15 years and I was in the room for the birth if my godson!).

I walked around the hospital so many times and eventually after some hours, I felt a little pain. I was stupid and believed that little pain was my contractions. Boy.. I had no idea what FULL on contractions until I REALLY felt it. I wanted to die!!! They were really strong and so close together, but I was only dilated 3cm, so they did what they could to slow it down.
The next day..
A day later and still no baby, but of course, I was still contracting and VERY slowly dilating. I was STARVINGGGG too!!! No food since the day before and I still wasn't allowed to eat until baby got here. Man, oh, man.. Everyone was hungry and babe stopped by and picked up Taco Bell for everyone. I don't know what he was thinking getting 20+ tacos just for the 3 of them! HAHA! Of course, I couldn't eat it. I just glared at all of them while they stuffed their pretty little faces. Sighh.. Aren't they evil? Hehee..

The contractions got REALLY bad at this point. I was in the worst pain ever! And I was still only dilated at 4 cm! 24 hours have passed and I only dilated 1 cm.. I could see on the monitor (and feel) how bad my contractions were. I needed an epidural. I was contracting full out and it looked like baby wasn't going to come anytime soon. I was scared because I've heard from a few moms how bad the needle hurts, but honestly, I felt a little pinch and that was it. It wasn't bad at all! 

After about 15 minutes it started kicking in, but it was only working on my left side. I could still feel EVERY little pain on my whole right side. They told me it happens and tilted me so it can get to my other side as well. It took a while, but eventually I was numb all down. I could see I was contracting on the monitor, but I felt nothing. It was a really nice break from all that excruciating pain I had felt earlier. Since I got my epidural early, if I felt anything coming on, I could press a button every 10 minutes that would release some type of pain killer in my back (if I needed it).. BUT I ended up falling asleep for hours and it must have been wearing off because I woke up to a cramping pain again. They gave me shot and it was feeling better.

Day 2 (of active labor)..
I finally dilated 10cm! Good news is that it's time to push and bring my little man out! Bad news is that the epidural freaking wore off!!! Of course at this point it's too late to get any more type of pain medication. It was around 1am and I had to push:
  • ..with no epidural (& feeling EVERYTHING),
  • ..no energy from lack of food (been two days since my last meal at this point),
  • & 7 people in the delivery room (felt like I couldn't breathe)! 
I still don't see why I had to have 3 nurses to "aid" my doctor. He didn't even want them all in there either. Haha, it was funny because he looked just as annoyed as I was. One of them wasn't even doing sh*t. She just stood there and watched with a weird look on her face (probably because I was screaming). I wanted to punch the b*tch and kick her out.

Anyways, I was in ACTIVE labor for 2 days overall and it took 2 hours of pushing until he finally came out. It was the WORST 2 hours of my life! I threw up a couple times during the pushing and I really felt like I couldn't breathe. They gave me an oxygen mask, but weirdly, it felt like it was suffocating me even more. 

I honestly thought my delivery would be like my girlfriend's. It took 15 of pushing to get her boy out and she felt nothing! Lucky girl.. Poor hubs.. I was soo mean to him! My labor was just like in the movies. A LOT of excruciating screams. Later I was told that the reason I may have been a little crazy is because one of the medications they gave me can make you feel claustrophobic and nutty. Thank goodness it wasn't just me being a wack job. It was the MEDSS! 
You know in the movies, after the women have their babies, they feel fine and happy? Well, different story here. So, keep in mind, my epidural wore off so I felt:
  •  ..the after-birth cramping (felt just like contractions),
  • ..the pushing of getting the rest of the placenta out, 
  • & the STITCHING of your precious area (yup, I tore..)!!!
The cramping was so bad that I could hold or nurse my baby right away. ): I was willing to still try (regardless of my pain levels), but the nurses told me I shouldn't since it would only make me feel worse. I was tossing and turning, crying, and groaning for 45 minutes AFTER he was born. Agh! I know labor and delivery is different for everyone, but I didn't think it would be like this! The first pee after was so terrifying! Haha, my mind was ready to go, but my body wouldn't release! Finally, when I did, it wasn't so bad and I had no problem after that.

AHHHH!!!! But he was finally here!!!! He is so beautiful, right?! Although, he did have the "cone-head" at first which made his head look alien-esque, but it's perfectly normal and round now. I remember that's the first thing I asked the doctor when he popped out, "Is his head going to stay that way?!" HAHA, I was getting upset with myself because I didn't push him out fast enough.
Ethan Taeyang 
21inches & 8lbs 10oz

Finally getting to hold him!

Hubs with his mini-me!



He was already smiling & laughing!


He's finally home!!!
Would I consider having another one? Uhh.. Well, my initial answer was "NO!" for the first month, but watching this little man grow and because of how much I love him, I actually would! Maybe not anytime soon, but it would be nice to make him a little brother or sister to play with so he doesn't grow up lonely and spoiled. Maybe in 2 years, I'll think about it. 

But one thing I do know for sure, NEVER will I do an induction again (unless there are health-risk reasons). I realize, they'll come when they're ready to come. Not only do you have to play the annoying waiting game, but you'll be in pain a lot sooner and longer than if you waited naturally. If you decide to go with epidural, try to wait it out as long as you can. Getting it too soon gives you a higher chance of it wearing off if you're taking too long to dilate. I learned that the hard way. -__- Even so, I'd much rather do it this way than having a c-section. I hear it's an even more painful recovery! 

AFTER: MY BODY..
It's never ending! I swelled up. Not just my feet, but my body. I was wondering why generally women look plumper literally right AFTER they have their baby and found out it's because you're sharing certain fluids with baby, and when they are out, you are retaining all that fluid by yourself. Boy, oh boy.. My FEET swelled up so big!!! 
Covered my unpainted, nasty, crusty looking toes to you don't go blind!
The swelling took forever to go down. Probably because I was always on my feet trying to get stuff done. It hurt to even walk on these bad boys. Swollen feet, extreme back pains, painfully healing "lady parts", and intense cramping (from nursing).. You can only imagine how overwhelmed and exhausted I felt taking care of a newborn on top of all this discomfort! 

Oh and what sucks is that even though the swelling in my feet ha gone all the way down by this point, I feet actually did grow a size up.. ): *SAD BEAR* I looked it up and it says during pregnancy, the ligaments in your feet can expand and it's permanent. OMG. All my nice shoes (even the ones I never got to wear) don't fit anymore! I'm irritated! I'll just have to find them nice homes.. Hmm blog sale?! 

All in all, even though I had a rough before, during, and after experience, it was ALL worth it. I love my little boy so much! He makes me incredibly happy. I honestly cannot imagine life without him anymore! :D 
Some random shots of him over 
the course of two months:

24 comments:

  1. He's so cute!

    Emma x
    http://beautyandrags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, he's adorable. I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago and wondering how it all went. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. He really looks like my Godchild .. named Ethan! XD
    He's Filipino/Chinese and also really cute like your little boy ^^
    Can't wait to have a child of my own! Just not the laboring part ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is perfect! I have heard that your feet do go up a size after having a baby :( It's crazy how wildly different birth delivery experiences are. My sister had an equally awful delivery experience but my sister-in-law had no issue whatsoever. Your son is absolutely adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG his smile is beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! Waddaya mean the epidural wore off?!!??! My biggest fear of giving birth has come true with you! LOL But regardless that small bundle of joy is so worth it! (even if you need to go out and repurchase new shoes <-- I feel you hear girl!!!) Ethan is soooo adorable! When I showed my bf his photos he loved the one where you guys already styled his hair! Hahahahaha! Gonna be one stylish kiddo with you two as parents! (when he finally gets his first job you can make him buy you a pair of shoes LOL) I personally love the photo where he's in his bear suit! I love those things so much! If I ever have a kid that's all they're going to live in for as long as I can fit them in it! =P

    But still I can't believe you were giving birth for two days! That's so scary! I'm glad your hubs was able to be there for you and take the abuse hahahahahaha My mum tells me birth won't be so bad for me since I "sort" of know how it feels like with my horrible period cramps, of course she let me know it was 10x worse! OMG I dun wanna! I even told her I rather get a C- section LOL But I guess that's not really my choice =( I hope you're doing well girly and getting lots of rest! Don't rush! =D


    P.S I take back my "biggest fear" I wrote earlier, my biggest fear is actually being ripped and sewn together! ><

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing story :D It kinda makes me want a baby.. without the pain.. maybe in a few years if & when im ready XD Haha, he's got taeyang in his name? He'll definitely be a super stud when he grows up!! He looks so adorable in the lil bear suit too *A* I must find some things to send you for him!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ethan is such a handsome boy! I've always wonder what will happen to the body after birth and I got my answer here. Sounds very painful indeed. I'm sorry to hear about your shoes but use at least you have an excuse to treat yourself to some glorious shoe shopping now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwwww so adorable <3
    congratulations.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahh your story makes me never wanna have kids but your pictures make me wanna have one asap! ethan is precious and looks so handsome already :) congrats to you jen! and yes to blog sale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ethan is absolutely adorable and I really love seeing all the photos on fb but MY GOD I AM SO TERRIFIED OF CHILD BIRTH. Every time there is a new birth in the family all the moms gather and talk about their experience and EVERY TIME, I leave with my face looks like the person in The Scream painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adorable little guy! I'm really happy for you! :3

    ReplyDelete
  13. adorableeeee!!! *_______*

    check out my blog when u can! :D
    http://thesimplesophistication.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh poor you, and I thought my 20hr labour was bad! He is soo beautiful though honey he was so worth it all!
    Enjoy every second of him being so tiny, they grow up way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what we moms go through! great job, and your little boy is gorgeous!!

    xoxo
    jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww....omg he looks so precious! Too cute ^^

    Your labor story sounds like every woman's worst nightmare though. After reading it I don't think I ever want to have a baby. I didn't even know that it was possible to be in labor for 2 days! x___x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ethan is sooooooooooooooooo cute! You did a great job with labor and delivery. What a trooper! We all have things that went "wrong" during L/D, things that weren't in our plans. I had emergency C-section and felt like a failure. Hope you were able to recover well, and didn't experience any depression, like I probably did. As long as we can cope, we will be fine. And then our babies smile at us, and all that just falls away. Enjoy little Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was reading every single word of your labour story and I really admire all mothers for having to endure so much pain for their children.

    Thank you for sharing your story.

    Ethan is so adorable! I love how his hair looks so natrually ash tone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh you are so brave! He is gorgeous! Xx

    ReplyDelete