Thursday, February 3, 2011

snowboarding injuries

A few weekends ago, I went snowboarding with the boys. The injuries weren't as bad as last year, thank God. The only reason this time was so terrible was because 1.) I was learning how to do wide carving, 2.) This was the first time using the brand new Morrow board babe got me (There was not enough friction!). The weather was awful! I couldn't see anything but my own snowboard (with my goggles on), and couldn't ride down (without goggles) because the incessant amounts of snow falling were constantly stabbing my eyes like needles. But it was ALL nothing compared to what happened LAST YEAR.

I would call Winter '09 my first time snowboard. The FIRST FIRST time I went, my sisters and I were in middle school, and NO ONE we went with had any idea what the hell we were doing. We went up to Snoqualmie Mtns. dressed in hoodies and jeans.. Yeah, it was pretty bad and I guess it's kind of embarassing when you think about it. Anyhoos-- Back to what I really wanted to share..

Last year, my boyfriend decided to take me up to the mountains so he can share with me something he absolutely loves doing. You would THINK that he would take a newbie to the bunny hill so I can learn without worrying too much about speed, but he assured me the slope (that I thought looked very high) was in fact a bunny hill and not steep at all. WRONG! His methods of teaching are "Always start big". [-_____-] I can actually make a list of all the things that went wrong with my experience and everything being 100% true.

- When I attempted to get off the lift, my board landed (slid) the opposite way, twisted my left ankle (since that was the only foot actually strapped in). Man, was my ankle swollen! My left shoes didn't even fit me for a week! But I was a solider, it was only the beginning of the day so I decided to keep on going, WITH a sprained ankle. I figured the cold would just numb it until we were done. That was a bad idea, it didn't heal correctly for about 3 months! The swelling went down, but the pain still remained.

- This lady skiier must have been a beginner too, because she straight up skiied INTO MY KNEES!!! She was very apologetic, so I just acted like it was no big deal. Luckily, the cold came to my advantage and it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.. until I got home! My knees were so purple and they hurt to bend.

- I remember an incident where I got off the lift (with struggle, but no big problems), and went onto the right side to stay clear of the other people getting off the lift. I see my boyfriend recording our friends getting off, so I stand up and start shaking the snow off my pants, when *BAM!!!!* Something smacks me full force in the back of the head. I turn around about to go crazy on the bitch that threw whatever at me.. and then I realize it was the lift chair making it's round and that's what hit me. I was literally just outside of the camera's view so Matt didn't catch it on film. Thank god, it would have been an embarassing moment that everyone would replay and laugh at me for.

Those are just a list of things that don't typically happen to the average person. The list can go on with sprained wrists, broken butts, blisters, and sore necks.
  
No more, please! Boyfriend says it's the fear of falling and going too fast that's keeping me from attempting to learn new stuff. At least the fear is keeping me in shape! I think?

No comments:

Post a Comment